“St. Michael’s Church of England School, established upon Christian foundations, and living out the Christian faith, is committed to providing every child with an excellent education.”
We promote our Vision through the key words:
‘Create – Equip – Partner’
As a school we take all aspects of safeguarding and child protection seriously. We have robust recruitment and child protection policies in place and staff are trained appropriately in child protection, safeguarding, PREVENT and safer recruitment. Please refer to our Safeguarding tab on our school website.
From 1 July 2015 all schools became subject to a duty under section 26 of the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015, in the exercise of their functions, to have “due regard to the need to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism”. This duty is known as the Prevent Duty for Schools.
At St. Michael’s, we build pupils’ resilience to extremist propaganda by promoting fundamental British values and enabling our pupils to challenge extremist views.
The statutory guidance refers to the importance of Prevent awareness training to equip staff to identify children at risk of being drawn into terrorism and to challenge extremist ideas. The Home Office has developed a core training product for this purpose – Workshop to Raise Awareness of Prevent (WRAP).
The Designated Safeguarding & Prevent Leads at St. Michael’s CE School
- The Designated Safeguarding & Prevent Lead at St. Michael’s CE School is the Headteacher: Mrs Ann-Marie Grant.
- The Deputy Designated Safeguarding & Prevent Lead at St. Michael’s CE School is the Deputy Headteacher: James Bawn
- The Designated Governor Safeguarding and Prevent Leads at St. Michael’s CE School are Mrs Gaby McWhinnie (Chair of the Board of Governors) and Mrs Sarah Marshall (Vice Chair of the Board of Governors).
- The Local Authority Liaison Officer for Wandsworth is Head of Community Safety: Ameliah Rayn – phone number 07825 720 941 or email Ameliah.Rayn@
Quality Assurance – Staff Refresher Prevent Training: March 2020
Staff at St. Michael’s have received WRAP (Workshop to Raise and Awareness of Prevent) training session from the Local Authority representative on what Prevent is about and how to deal with any issues they may see inside or outside school . This training took place on Wednesday 11th March 2020.
Local Authority Designated Officer Safeguarding Training (LADO)
Staff received LADO training in March 2020 and again on the Inset day in September 2020 during the safeguarding training.
The training gave staff and governors:
- An understanding of the Prevent strategy and their role within it
- The ability to use existing expertise and professional judgment to recognise the vulnerable individuals who may need support.
- Local safeguarding and referral mechanisms and people to contact for further help and advice.
- This workshop is an introduction to the Prevent strategy and an individual’s role in safeguarding vulnerable people.
Leadership Online Prevent Training Autumn Term 2019
All members of the Leadership & Management Team have undergone refresher training using the Department for Education online Prevent Training and received certified accreditation.
In addition to the above, each term there are regular updates and reminders given through the staff meetings in order to ensure that staff are kept abreast of new initiatives and legislation.
Additional Department for Education Guidance (DfE)
In addition to the main guidance for schools, the school also makes reference to the following DfE the Key Statutory guidance: