Create – Equip -Partner
Our combined Mission and Vision Statement is central in all that we do as a school and this includes ensuring our Board of Governors are proactively involved with the embedding of our Mission and Vision through the work that they do, working in partnership with the school as outlined below.
The Board of Governors currently comprises of 17 members:
- 5 elected by St Michael’s PCC;
- 2 appointed by the Southwark Diocesan Board of Education;
- 1 appointed by the Local Education Authority;
- 2 elected by parents;
- 1 staff Governor;
- 1 co-opted Governor;
- 3 associate Governors
- The Headteacher and the Vicar of St Michael’s Church (ex-officio) are also Governors.
Please see the Governor links below for a full list of the Board of Governors and their profile. In the first instance all Governors should be contacted via the school office.
The Chair of the Board of Governors
The Chair of the Board of Governors is Mrs Gaby McWhinnie and she is also the Safeguarding and main Looked After Children Link Governor. Gaby can be contacted via the School Office.
The Vice Chair of the Board of Governor
The Vice Chair of the Board of Governors is Mrs Sarah Marshall and she is also the second Safeguarding and Deputy Looked After Children Link Governor. Sarah can be contacted via the School Office.
The following Governors have designated roles to support and advise the development the Board of Governors. They are as follows:
- The Designated Safeguarding and Looked After Children Governor Leads at St. Michael’s CE School are Mrs Gaby McWhinnie and Mrs Sarah Marshall.
- The Designated Inclusion Governor Lead at St. Michael’s CE School is Mr Richard Holmes.
- The Designated Security, Health & Safety Governor Lead at St. Michael’s CE School is Mrs Afshan Shah.
- The Board of Governors have an important strategic role in our school.
- They support us in setting Our Vision, and Ethos and help us decide on our strategic direction.
- The Board of Governors also hold the school to account with regards to pupil and staff performance, as part of this we hold a Working Party to look at the school’s Phonics, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 results in the Data Analysis document. This is held in November.
- Lastly, the Board of Governors oversee the financial performance of the school; they make sure our money is well spent!
Our Board of Governor Links 2019-2020
- Governor Profile 2019-20
- Governors Attendance Register 2019-20
- Register of Interests Governors 2019-20
- Register of Interests Governors Amendments Form 2019-20
- Governor Safeguarding Register Autumn 2019
- Governor Safeguarding Register Spring 2020
- Governor Safeguarding Register Summer 2o20
- Governor Safeguarding Training 2019-20
- Terms of Office 2019-20
Board of Governors Scheme of Delegation: 2019-2020
Induction and CPD
As an excellent Church school, the Board of Governors ensures that there is effective induction and professional development is prioritised for all Governors.This has led to innovative practice working with the church and other schools locally, regionally and nationally. The Char and Vice Chair, in partnership with the Headteacher, oversee the induction of new members and also advise on training to support their role on the Board.
Bishop’s Certificate – Summer 2019
The Board of Governors was awarded with the Bishop’s Certificate in 2019.
This ten module course which is endorsed by the Bishop of Southwark and aims to clarify the role of the Board of Governors in Church of England schools.
The course objective was to give participants a good understanding of key issues for Church school governors. The certificate is awarded to Board of Governors that have sent at least two of their governors on seven of the ten modules and is valid for four years. We are very lucky to have such a dedicated Board of Governors who are willing to attend training to help support and develop our school.